There are 5 possible testing methods:
1. Preview a single userlane
With the Preview Mode, you can test the functionality of one specific userlane. You can preview specific changes before saving them. Only people with access to the Userlane Editor can start the preview.
How to preview a single userlane:
Open the userlane in the Editor and click on the violet preview button on the left side of the black editor bar.
2. Send out the userlanes via link
Non-admin users can test userlanes via a link. This only works if the Userlane Snippet is integrated and the userlane is set to public. It won’t be visible to your end users because you can put it in a private chapter. You can send the link to any user. Testers don't need to have access to the Userlane Dashboard.
How to test userlanes via link:
Make sure that the Userlane itself is set to public and the chapter is private. Then the Userlane is not going to appear in the Userlane Assistant but can still be sent via link. This is how to find the link of a userlane.
3. Partially integrate Userlane (only relevant for employee training on third-party applications)
Some of your users can test the whole look and feel of the Userlane training. This method works for employee training on third-party-applications. You can test the whole Userlane assistant with a little group of your users that don't need to have any access to the Userlane Dashboard.
How to only partially integrate Userlane:
Make sure that all the userlanes and chapters you want to test are set to public in the Userlane Dashboard. Roll out the Browser Extension only to your little group of test users by sending them the link to register and download their Userlane Browser extension: family.userlane.com/mll.
After signing up and downloading the Browser Extension, your testers will see the Userlane Assistant as soon as they enter the respective third-party-applications.
4. Test your whole assistant in a staging environment only
Test the whole userlane assistant in your staging environment before you integrate Userlane into your production environment. The Userlane Snippet has to be integrated only into your staging environment.
How to test in a staging environment:
Set at least one chapter and one userlane to public in your Userlane Dashboard. Since Userlane will only appear when the Snippet is integrated, the Userlane Assistant will only appear on your staging and will not be visible in your production yet.
5. Test only some guides and functionalities in a staging environment (Technical documentation)
The Userlane Snippet must be integrated into your staging environment. It can also be integrated into your production.
How to test new guides in a staging environment:
If you have the Snippet already integrated into staging as well as into production, do the following:
- When integrating your snippet into the staging environment, add the following code line (with your respective user_ID) just before the init command into the Userlane Snippet:
- After doing this, create an Attribute in the Userlane Dashboard with the attribute name 'staging' and the data type 'boolean'.
- Filter your user list based on this attribute with 'staging' 'equals' 'true' and save it as a segment that you e.g. name 'only for staging'.
- Apply this segment to all the chapters and userlanes that should only appear on your staging for now.
After applying the described segmentation, set all the chapters you want to test to “public” so that they appear on your staging page.
Do you need more information?
Contact us via our Intercom Chat or firstname.lastname@example.org