Use this userlane to manage multiple languages in your dashboard.
Add a new language
You can create a new language in the “Customize” - “Languages” section.
- The language name is displayed in the dashboard for you to identify the language.
- The language key will be compared to the HTML and Browser languages in order to automatically detect the language. It typically consists of the first two letters of the language name (e.g. English = EN).
- The Copy from… option allows you to decide which language the texts of your new language should be copied from. This helps you to write in the right translations later. This is also helpful because it will create the extra elements in your steps, such as any images, videos, links or inboxes.
Important: If you don’t copy the texts from an existing language all the texts in the new language will be empty.
- As soon as you adjusted the new language texts of all your userlanes in the Manage section, you can publish the new language by switching the toggle.
Choose a fallback option: When the user's language is not available
Let's say you have created two languages, English and French. For every French and English speaking end user we will match the corresponding language automatically. To cover every other language, like German or Spanish, you can define a general fallback solution:
- Show default language
- Don't detect languages at all and always use the default language
- Hide userlane for those users
Language detection priorities
This article explains the order in which Userlane detects the user language.
Import and export texts in different languages
To translate your userlanes into different languages you can use our text-import-export feature:
- download all your existing texts,
- update the texts for each language and
- upload the new file.
You can use excel (XLSX) or comma-separated values (CSV) as formats for both export and import all the texts of all your userlanes.
- Media elements (like images, videos, links or inboxes) that appear as <missing element> in the export cannot be created through an upload.
- If you change anything in the file (including the original language) the changes will be aplied after you import the file (also to your original language)
- You can import languages one by one by deleting the other "language" columns in the excel file. You will identify these because they have a language code in the first row (eg. "en"). Please don't delete or change anything in the first 2 columns.
Good to know
- The text of the userlanes will be empty in all the other languages when you create a new userlane in one language. You can use the copy from option when creating a new language to avoid empty texts in other languages.
- When deleting a language, be aware that we cannot recover any userlane texts in that language after it's deleted. If you don’t need anymore you can switch it to private instead.
- Showing userlanes in the mother tongue of users usually increases their completion rate.